Marbled Murrelet Surveyors
Come join the Turnstone Environmental team, and spend your summer hiking throughout Oregon’s Coast Range, surveying for the endangered marbled murrelet!
Turnstone is currently seeking to fill multiple Marbled Murrelet surveyor positions throughout Oregon. These are full-time, temporary-seasonal positions.
We typically have field crews based in the beautiful Oregon towns of Astoria, Corvallis, Forest Grove, McMinnville, Tillamook, and potentially southern Oregon.
Salary Range & INCENTIVES
Surveyor Salary $2700 -$3200/ month ($16.88-$20.00 hourly)
Intern Salary – Students Applying without a 4-year degree – $2400-$2600/ month ($15.00-$16.25 hourly)
$800/month vehicle reimbursement with use of personal field capable vehicle
Season Completion Bonus!
Field housing (depending on location)
Salary range is dependent upon project and applicant experience.
Dates of Employment
Mid-April 2023 to late-July/Early August 2023 (possibility of extension).
Due to protocol requirements, mission critical work periods include April 16-21, June 15-16, and July 1-21; work schedule can be more flexible during other parts of the field season—please inquire during interview.
To apply, please complete the application below on this page. SORRY BUT TO KEEP THINGS ORGANIZED EMAILED APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. Application review and interviews to begin immediately and will continue until positions are filled.
- Conduct marbled murrelet surveys following an established protocol
- Work independently in the early morning hours (including pre-dawn) in the forest
- Use GPS and basic navigational tools to locate and set up survey stations
- Record, transcribe and submit accurate survey data
- Communicate clearly with crew leader and project manager
All surveyors will be provided with extensive training prior to starting surveys. This work involves a lot of solo driving, hiking through the woods in the dark along flag lines (no trails!), and enjoying regular periods of inclement weather!
Typically, housing is provided for our field crews. Occasional camping is often preferred and may be required. A field vehicle will be provided unless the employee chooses to use a personal vehicle for reimbursement. We offer an 800$/month vehicle stipend to anyone who chooses to use their own field capable vehicle.
There may also be opportunities after the field season to work on a variety of other interesting and collaborative field projects related to special-status wildlife species for the right candidates.
Interviews are currently underway and will continue until all positions are filled. Once positions are filled, this application will remain as an open continuous announcement for applicants interested in any future openings that may occur with increased workloads.
Applicants should have or be working towards a B.S. degree in wildlife biology (or a closely related field). Previous field experience is preferred, but not required. Additional preferred qualifications include:
- A strong work ethic, and desire to learn new protocols and explore the Oregon Coast
- Be in good physical condition, and feel comfortable hiking alone in variable terrain
- Integrity, and accuracy in adhering to scientific protocols and in recording data
- Knowledge of navigating with a compass, GPS and topographic map
- Working knowledge of western bird identification (or willingness to learn)
- Flexible, detail-oriented, resourceful, and comfortable working independently while also being part of a larger team
- A valid state-issued driver’s license with clean driving record and the ability to navigate forest roads of variable condition and operate a 4WD vehicle
- Applicants must have normal vision and hearing, must submit hearing test results prior to starting work
- A general appreciation of the natural wonders of the Oregon coast and a willingness to explore them.
Successful candidates will gain valuable experience in field ornithology, endangered species surveys, advanced field skills, and get a chance to see what a career in environmental consulting could look like, all while working closely with a diverse team of other motivated folks in the beautiful Pacific Northwest!
Apply for this position
This application is used for both Marbled Murrelet Crew Lead and Surveyor positions.